A Heinkel He 111 bomber flying over the East End of London at the start of the Luftwaffe's evening raids of 7 September 1940.
Squadron Leader Brian 'Sandy' Lane, CO of No. 19 Squadron (centre) confers with Flight Lieutenant Walter 'Farmer' Lawson and Flight Sergeant George 'Grumpy' Unwin at Fowlmere near Duxford, September 1940.
Two Battle of Britain fighter pilots, Flight Lieutenant Brian Kingcome (left), commanding officer of No 92 Squadron RAF and his wingman, Flying Officer Geoffrey Wellum, next to a Spitfire at RAF Biggin Hill, Kent, 1941
Wing Commander J E 'Johnnie' Johnson, commanding No. 144 (Canadian) Wing, on the the wing of his Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX with his Labrador retriever Sally, at Bazenville, Normandy, 31 July 1944.
A Douglas Dakota of BOAC at Gibraltar, silhouetted by searchlights on the Rock.
A pilot at Fairlop airfield in Essex has a haircut during a break between sweeps. A Supermarine Spitfire is in the background.
British Scouts leaving their Aerodrome on Patrol, over the Asiago Plateau, Italy, 1918
Supermarine Spitfire Mark Is of No. 610 Squadron based at Biggin Hill, flying in 'vic' formation, 24 July 1940.
Aircrew of No. 106 Squadron RAF gather in front of the Avro Lancaster flown by the Squadron CO, Wing Commander Guy Gibson (centre, to right of dog), to mark the completion of his first tour of operations, Syerston in Nottinghamshire, March 1943.
The Operations Room at RAF Fighter Command's No. 10 Group Headquarters, Rudloe Manor (RAF Box), Wiltshire, showing WAAF plotters and duty officers at work, 1943.
Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb of No. 92 Squadron, 19 May 1941. This aircraft, serial R6923, was shot down by a Messerschmitt Bf 109 on 22 June 1941.
Pilots of No. 303 (Polish) Squadron RAF with one of their Hawker Hurricanes, October 1940.
A vertical aerial photograph taken during a raid on Berlin on the night of 2/3 September 1941. The broad wavy lines are the tracks of German searchlights and anti-aircraft fire.
Bristol Blenheim Mk IVFs of No. 254 Squadron RAF flying from Aldergrove in Northern Ireland, May 1941.